Friday, June 26, 2020

REGRET: A SHORT STORY

REGRET: A SHORT STORY



Its been three years since I have been working as a professional lawyer and there were many ups and downs in my life,
Running from court to court, Getting threat calls from the opposition party, Working with a mental patient who killed people due to their mental illness; trying to prove my clients are innocent, This and that…this and that till I was tired…. I was getting exhausted so I did as my father suggested.


I took a long solo trip to goa and was staying alone in my father’s cottage which he bought a few years back, The first few days went amazing and precious, I had seen sunset and sunshine, heard the chirping of birds, smiled at strangers, visited library not to read law books but fantasy and fictional.


It was 2 past midnight when I was sitting on a wooden rocking chair reading last few pages of a fictional book and the landline phone rang,
I was so indulged in the book that I missed the call,
After a few seconds, my phone rang again, it kept ringing ……till I sighed and picked it up.
“hello…” I asked
“save me…please….. I have been kidnapped….please save….me”
I have heard people begging to be saved in the courtroom, in my office but this time the voice of this girl was Tremulous I could hear the chattering of her teeth, her heavy breath, I was stunned.
“hello….who…who are you?…and who kidnapped you?”
The phone got disconnected, I thought the kidnapper must have caught the girl or she must have felt his footsteps so I didn’t call back,
As far as my profession is concerned you should never call back to the victim cause it will only increase your trouble so,
I waited two hours for the call I knew if the girl is really in trouble she’ll call back.
Around 4 in the morning she called.
“hello….save me …..he will kill…..me “
“hello…..tell me your address….tell me your name so I could find you ……” I was shouting, I was worried about the girl. I told her my phone number and asked her to send me her address where the kidnapper has been keeping her,
She said she'll send me the address and
The phone got disconnected again.


I quickly glanced through the address and was shocked and angry,
How can someone do such prank with me?
I called back to that girl
“How dare you….do you think I am fool here….do you think its funny…calling me and telling me that you are kidnapped and sending me the address of my own cottage….”
“no…..i need your help…I have sent you the right address”
“Stop playing games now…..or else you will end up in jail….”
I cut the call and again glanced through the entire address just to be sure but it was the same; the address of my cottage.




Next day I got up and after my morning breakfast was watching TV,
The headline of the news says:
“POLICE FOUND A DEAD BODY OF A 20-YEAR-OLD GIRL IN ST. PETER COTTAGE: THE GIRL MADE THE LAST CALL TO AN UNIDENTIFIED NUMBER AND TRIED TO SENT SOMEONE HER ADDRESS BUT DUE TO ZERO BALANCE THE MESSAGE REMAINED UNSENT, POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING TO FIND THE KILLER AND IDENTITY OF A PERSON WHOM THE GIRL CALLED LAST TIME”


My hands went numb, I immediately stood up, went to my bedroom and checked my messages again, the last message I got was of my cottage address from a random number,
When I checked the last call I got from the girl on my landline phone I started shaking,
Because the number from which I got the address of my cottage and the number from which the girl called me was different,
It wasn’t a prank.




I went to the police and told them everything.
As a lawyer, I always knew how to get out of trouble even though the fault is of my own,
But this time my heart was filled with guilt and shame, I thought that I am worthy to be punished but the cases didn’t make a fuss for too long
They said it was a misunderstanding and my father took care of everything as I was unable to do on my own
It would have been better if it was just a prank
The girl would be saved.







HELLO GUYS,

I HOPE YOU ENJOY READING MY SHORT STORY. LET ME KNOW YOUR FEEDBACK IN THE COMMENT BELLOW SO I CAN POST MORE SHORT STORIES.

THANK YOU.


2 comments:

  1. It was very good, the plot was nice. The ending seemed a bit abrupt, but it's a great start. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback.
      Thanks for your suggestion as well, means a lot.

      Delete

On Being Consientious

A few days back I started writing a story. It was going all too well till I couldn't get through a certain plot because I wa...