My favorite "Urdu poetry" and its translation in English
"Asiya, When will you start teaching me URDU?"
I was having a conversation with my new friend in college and I told her that I can read and write Urdu, And my friend started insisting me to teach her Urdu too.
I promised her that I will, And then I completely forgot about it.
And now during the worst crises of COVID-19 pandemic where we all are trapped in our house due to lockdown, I started sending Urdu poetry to my friend with translation so she could understand it better. Although I am not a big fan of Urdu poetry, A few days back I came across one Urdu poetry that was stuck in my mind and touched my heart deeply, This poetry was written in simple words and yet with deep profound meaning. It taught me the most valuable lessons in life. And I am glad to share it with you. So guys here's the short poetry.
''Umar bhar 'Ghalib' yahi Bhool karta Raha, Dhool Chehre pe Thi, aur aina saaf karta raha''
Translation: ''The whole life Ghalib made this mistake, the dust was on his face and he was cleaning the mirror''
The poetry was written by Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan (Urdu: مِرزا اسَدُاللہ بیگ خان), He was a prominent Urdu and Persian poet during the last years of the Mughal Empire. He used his pen-names of Ghalib (Urdu: غالِب, ġhālib means "dominant") and Asad (Urdu: اسَد, Asad means "lion").
The meaning of poetry highlights one of the worst agonies of life called "REGRET".Most of us have been through some situation in our life where we were so indulged in doing the wrong or not doing anything that we often let go of the important time we could have utilized for our betterment which gives rise to our gloomy regrets, I don't believe in being a perfectionist so mistakes are and have always been a part of my life, Earlier I used to be someone who wouldn't do something she was really passionate about just because she was afraid to fail, afraid to make mistakes, afraid to handle criticism and I kept myself away from completing my most desires for my happiness and as the time passes my life kept giving me bundles of regrets to make my days worst. The only moment of ecstasy I felt was when I realized that life was pulling me down to teach a lesson, to make me realized that instead of blaming the situation or people around me I should learn to accept my all flaws that I have made mistakes, that I stepped back during the time I really needed to march ahead, that it's not too late now, that I can still go ahead and this poetry is one of the best epitome of "A life filled with regrets and mistakes because the poet never realized that all the flaws were buried within when what he actually doing was trying to change things from outside". The poetry taught me that the only significant change is a change that starts from within. The reason why I like this poetry so much is because of the way the poet had observed life and choose to make us face our own mistakes and to make us realized that sometimes regrets are all about our unawareness from our own mistakes.
"Good words are worth much, and cost little."
—George Herbert
Sir "Ghalib" words are the best example of how much worth good words can have and with a little or no cost.

No comments:
Post a Comment